• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Imperial IPA/Imperial Red Ale

HoppyDaze

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Been looking at trying to create a Imperial Red Ale and Imperial IPA but I can not find neither on where you choose the style. Would anyone know what style I would use for either one on beersmith 3.  Thank You

Imperial IPA is recognized as a Double IPA in the BJCP guidelines.  For imperial red ale, I would look at the AABC guidelines to see if there is one listed there.  In the BJCP guidelines, it would fit under Specialty IPA category.

It depends on your definition of "Imperial" or "Double." The category of "Imperial Anything" says alcohol starts at 8%. Statistically, "Double" just means between +30% to outright double the alcohol of the base style, then dryhopped. I round that to 50% more than the mean level alcohol of any style. My "Imperial Pilsner" is 6%, lower than the guidelines, but that's where it tastes right.

Imperial Red Ale cuts across several potential styles. Hoppy? Then Oginme's suggestion works. Boozy? Then it might fit better as a Barleywine. Many classic English Barleywines fit the red color (Old Nick).

Style guidelines shouldn't define your beer. Guidelines are created from what brewers make and want to repeat. Guidelines are best when they provide direction and education to brew, then feedback about how well you can hit a target, once brewed.

For reference, the 2015 BJCP guidelines equate Imperial IPA with the Double IPA, not that they are the be all or end all of beer styles. 

Another option for the 'imperial red' if you are not looking at an IPA variant is to look at the American Strong guideline (BJCP 2015 22b), which is broad enough to cover a higher alcohol level beer without the focus on hops.

In the end, do as Brewfun suggests and don't worry too much about specific styles if you have something in mind for recipe development.  Unless you are specifically looking to enter the beer into competition, brew for what you want.

Back