• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Volume & Gravity questions

baj475

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am just switching to all grain and have some questions on using BeerSmith.  I plan on brewing 10.5 gallon batches so I will end up with 10 gallons after discarding yeast and accounting for other losses transferring beer from my fermenter into kegs.  BeerSmith gives me a boil volume of 12.68 gallons.  Boil off is listed as 1.14 gallons (9%), cooling loos is listed as 0.44 gallons (4%) and boiler trub and chiller loss is set to .60 gallons.  The first question is does BeerSmith assume that I will stop sparging at a SG of 1.010?  Next question is does BeerSmith have a calculator that calculates preboil gravity directly?  It seems to me that I want to stop sparging when I get to 1.010 or my preboil gravity, which ever comes first so this should be part of BeerSmith's normal output.  Is this correct?  Last question.  With my equipment set to gallons and pounds, is there any easy way using BeerSmith to calculate SGs for starters using grams of DME and liters of wort or do I have to reset these basic units?

I'm not sure about the metric settings, but I've fine-tuned starters to yield about 1.037 OG using these numbers.  Assume 15 minutes boil time.  I use a cheap 2-quart stainless pot on an electric stove. 

For a one-liter starter:  1.2 liters water and 3.5 ounces DME (Munton's extra light)

For ~1.9 liters:  2.0 liters water and 5.5 ounces DME

I use Deer Park 0.5 liter water bottles since their water is similar to mine without the chlorine.

MaltLicker,

I played around with BeerSmith and answered part of my own question.  I switched BeerSmith to metric and found that 100 grams of DME in one liter of solution should yield a SG of 1.037.  This should have been obvious but it was late when I posted my question.  3.5 ounces is very close to 100 grams so taking into account some boil off your numbers match. 

Back