• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best Way to clean beer transfer hoses

millerrl143

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have just started using valves on my system  My brew pot and GigaWort units have valves with quick disconnects and quick disconnect hoses.  I am asking for help in the best methods to clean the lines, valves in the system.  I have a SteelHead pump as well.  I want to make sure nothing is left in the valves and lines and the best way to clean them.  Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. Never had this in the past so everything was cleaned with PBW and sanitized with Star San.

Do a good rinse and then circulate hot PBW solution for 15 or 20 minutes, opening and closing any valves slowly several times during the process, drain and rinse well. Every 3 or 4 batches repeat the process with citric acid at a rate of 10 grams/liter. Rinsing and storing dry are critical. Disassemble ball valves after cleaning the first couple of times and occasionally thereafter. to see that they are being cleaned effectively.

Bob hit it exactly on the head. The key is using hot PBW and not skimping on time. By hot, it should be at least 140oF, but not hotter than 180oF.

Pro Tips:
1) Store the system with the valves at least partially to fully open, This allows the ball to completely dry.
2) After thoroughly rinsing, you can do a quick acid run with phosphoric or vinegar to neutralize PBW residue.

The basics thing is that as long as everything is rinsed to being visibly clean and stored so it can drain/dry, you're good. Some hoses can take on stains after a while, but that doesn't equal contamination.

agreed with all of the above, with the addition of I'll occasionally run a brush through my hoses and i use 3pc ball valves which can be disassembled for cleaning.

To run a brush through the hoses, I've got a small pipe cleaner type brush that i attached a string to, I'll vacuum the string through the hose and use the string to pull the brush through. I do this very infrequently.

Mostly when i'm done brewing i just run hot water through everything and then use a small shop vac to vacuum out any residual water.

Back