• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profile question

ibrewthereforeiam

Apprentice
Reaction score
The spigot on my boil pot (which serves as my HLT prior to mash-in) leaves a 1 gallon deadspace.  This impacts my brew day in two places:

1. mash in: to meet the "Mash Volume Needed" on the "Vols" tab I have to disconnect my pump and pour the last gallon into the mash tun (not ideal).
2. sparge: same thing - to meet the "Sparge Vol", again need to disconnect pump, pour last gallon into the mash tun.

The Equipment Profile doesn't seem to have a field to directly account for this.  At first blush it would seem that I could account for mash-in by adding 1 gallon to the "Recoverable Mash Deadspace" in the equipment profile, but the same doesn't seem to hold true for "Mash Deadspace Losses".

Any suggestions?

I have never even concerned myself with HLT volumes. I over fill it and am only mindful of how much I take out. It helps to have a sight gauge or tube on your vessel so you can see how much you've let out. Any excess is used for clean up afterward.

Thanks.  The obvious solution is to simply add an extra gallon, I'm just being nit-picky about the equipment profile.

The equipment profile is aimed at defining the mash tun and beyond.  The purpose of the HLT is to have ample supply of hot water available to satisfy the demands into the mash tun for initial infusion, mash out, and sparge.  Some of the brewers I know add plenty of additional water and use it for cleaning post mashing.

This is what I use:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/diptube_edge.htm

Back