• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle priming single bottles

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I bottle and most friends keg, so we were discussing pros/cons of each for competition entries, etc.  There was some disagreement on how much corn sugar, and how likely a bottle-bomb might be afterward.  (A couple entries exploded in the registrar's hand last Saturday, spurring this discussion.) 

Most sources suggest one teaspoon per 12 oz bottle as the right amount of corn sugar.  Is this generally accepted?  Anyone ever had a bomb at a certain amount of sugar?  Most domestic bottles today are very thin glass.  Thx.

Hi,

I've had great success using Munton's "CarbTabs"  for bottling small batches or an entire 5 gal. batch.  As per the directions, you can use anywhere from 3-5 tabs per 12 oz bottle depending on how much carbonation you're shooting for. I've always gotten consistent carbonation and good head properties. I've never had any exploding bottles even with 5 tabs per bottle. There's 250 tabs in one package - enough for 5 gal.

Thanks, I've heard of those, and may bum a few from a friend to try.  I buy CS by the pound and am looking for a good starting range for CS by bottle.  I thought I'd try a high and low bottle manually before priming the entire bucket in bulk. 

On a different tangent, I had great yield on my last transfer to secondary and had excess beer that I caught and funneled into two bottles for an early taste test.  I grossly under-primed them cuz I was guessing, but if that happens again, I was going to try to use those early "scrap" bottles to test two different carbonation levels while the rest of the beer sits in secondary.  I'm just fearful of over-doing a wheat or Belgian and blowing one up. 

Back