• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

WYeast 1450 alternative and a Pale Ale recipe

anak85

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi there!

these are two questions in one. I want to try Jjocsak's Bell's two hearted IPA https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1645/bells-two-hearted-ipa?&doid=5c210ca2b5acf but would like to use an Imperial Yeast instead as they are available in organic quality. Any suggestions how to proceed with replacing the yeast?

And the second question. I will make a half batch at first to try it out and would like to use the other half of the yeast packet for a Pale Ale. Any suggestions for a nice, creamy tasty Pale Ale recipe that I can use with the same yeast?

Thanks a lot!!

Regards from Germany!
Phillip

I have seen (and made) other recipes that are clones of Bell's Two Hearted IPA. They recommend a very clean yeast like WLP001 or WLP005, or Imperial A07 Flagship. WY1450 doesn't seem like a very good match to that recipe, anyway, so go with A07.

I don't have any recommendations for Pale Ales to use with that yeast, but it is very versatile and should do well with any Pale Ale, so I suggest that you just pick a recipe that you like and go with it.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
I have seen (and made) other recipes that are clones of Bell's Two Hearted IPA. They recommend a very clean yeast like WLP001 or WLP005, or Imperial A07 Flagship. WY1450 doesn't seem like a very good match to that recipe, anyway, so go with A07.

I don't have any recommendations for Pale Ales to use with that yeast, but it is very versatile and should do well with any Pale Ale, so I suggest that you just pick a recipe that you like and go with it.

--GF

Perfect, thanks for that. I in fact received an answer from Imperial Yeast yesterday and they said: "I would do flagship or joystick.  Should be super close"

Can you please explain briefly what exactly is meant by "clean" when you speak of yeast types?

Happy holidays!!  :)

When a yeast is described as being 'clean', it means that the ending beer will have very little yeast character.  Some strains will be pretty clean at low fermentation temperatures (lower end of the recommended range) but can show estery or phenolic flavors when fermented at the high end of the recommended range (or beyond).  A good example which I have used extensively is Wyeast's WY1272 which ferments very clean at temperatures of 17C to 19C but will start showing fruity esters at fermentation temperatures of 20C and up.

Back