• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BC3 Water Analysis not matching lab report?

frizzo

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I added my home water profile to BC3 based on the mineral profile date I received from a professional lab analysis report.  After entering the mineral profile the water analysis calculated values for Alkalinity & Effective Hardness were very different than the values provided in the lab report.

Is there any way to override the analysis data from BC3 with the actual lab-tested values?
Should I be concerned that the BS3 results are different from real-world?

The Lab report is MUCH more comprehensive with ~80 various mineral/chemical/bacterial/corrosivity/hardness/turbidity results (you get the idea...)

e.g. of relevant details plugged into BS3:

Mineral Profile:
Ca: 22.70
Mg: 7.90
Na: 5.40
SO4: 19.00
CL: 11.10
HCO3: 78.00

The analysis differences between those calc'd by BC3 vs the KAR Labs report are as follows:

(Lab Report / BS3)
Alkalinity (as CaCO3): 79 / 64
Eff. Hardness (as CaCO3): 102 / 24

OK, I might be missing something so posting a copy of the actual water analysis may change what I say.

I put your mineral analysis through a couple of different water tools (BS3, Bru'n Water, Mash Made Easy) and they all come out with the same values for Alkalinity at 64,  Looking at the Anion to Cation balance in the analysis, the ions are pretty balanced with the Total Alkalinity set at 64 (1.99 to 2.02) and are significantly off balance with the TA set at 79 (2.64 to 202).  Given this imbalance, I would suggest that the water programs are more likely to be correct versus your water analysis.  This could be due to a significant amount of other ions in the water, but in most cases they are trace amounts and do not contribute as much to the calculations.

Back