• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Getting zero CO2 from my Stout

Markatbms

New Forum Member
Reaction score
We are brewing 5 gallons of Milk Stout and after two weeks of fermentation there have been no bubbles of CO2 released through the airlock.  We decided the dried yeast must have been bad so we boiled a gallon of water, added 8 oz of Karo syrup and once cooled added it to the second fermenter with another package of yeast.

This created a vacuum rather than a gas emission, draining the sanitizer out of the airlock three times in an hour.  What gives?  We did shake vigorously to oxygenate the wort after adding the second yeast packet.

We are novices, this being our sixth recipe.

Did you think to take a gravity reading before deciding there had been no fermentation? The CO2 may well have found an easier path to exit the fermenter, especially if you're using a bucket. Bucket lids are notorious for leaking.

As for the negative pressure in the secondary, there was likely a drop in internal temperature shortly after adding the Karo/water. If you had properly diluted Starsan in the airlock, the good news is that a few ounces in your beer won't cause a problem. 

If in fact the beer had fermented originally, you probably screwed it up by oxygenating. Once active fermentation has begun introducing oxygen is a bad thing. It will cause the finished product to degrade quickly. If it had not fermented originally, there was no reason to add more fermentables before pitching additional yeast.

If you don't have a hydrometer you need to get one and use it. Sounds like you could also do with a bit of reading on brewing beer. How to Brew by John Palmer is free on line at howtobrew.com and has all the information you'll need to properly brew beer.

Happy brewing.

All great points, thanks for the suggestions.  Reading the books didn?t help with my conundrum but your point is well taken, the gravity reading was the sure test of fermentation and it would have probably saved our brew.

Glad to know about this forum.

I doubt if you'll make the same mistake again. It is a learning process and as such, everyone screws up sooner or later. I prefer sooner :)

For others who rely on just the airlock, don't  the airlock depends on a good seal.  Something the seal isn't so good and the CO2 passes by and not through the airlock.  I've had this a couple times on my big mouth fermenter where the rubber seal isn't set right.  The CO2 leave via the lid and not the airlock. 

A simple test with no airlock activity is gravity reading.  Another is look for fermentation activity and if it has been a  few days, taste the wort.  It may be beer.

Back