• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Too high FG on Irish Red Ale

sandrapd

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have tried an Irish Red with a recipe including 3.5kg Malte Pale Ale, 1 kg Crystal , 0.1g Crystal Dark and Liberty Bell Ale M36. I got an OG of 1048 just as the recipe stated. Fermentation started about 4 hours later and went on for about 3 days on a dark place at room temperature. On day  6  FG was 1030 and got stuck there. I was expecting an FG of 1012. I tried over again, buying from a different shop just to check the quality on the items. The result was just the same. What am I doing wrong? Is there something I can do to ?reactivate? the fermentation process?

If active fermentation lasted for 3 days I find it hard to believe that the gravity only dropped to 1.030 by day 6.

Are you using a refractometer to check gravity? If so, you need to use a calculator to find the true gravity. The presence of alcohol changes the reading significantly.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

even with that mistake he'd be looking at a corrected gravity of 1.021 (unfermented wort reading of 8brix would calculate out when using an og of 1.048 to be 1.021)

whats the temperature you're fermenting at? if it gets to cold it could stop depending on yeast used, also would want to know what yeast you're using. Export your recipe and perhaps we can figure it out.

I live in Bogota, Colombia where tempareture uses to be very steady. this January however, days have been warm (22 C) and  nights have been quite cold (8 C). Can be that change of temperature the reason?

This is the recipe and the photo of the package of the yeast. I did hydrated it before adding it.

Thanks for your help

Back