• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Danstar Windsor Yeast

badleroybrown

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am wondering about the comment on the Windsor Yeast where it says "some banana aroma".  Can anyone confirm that?  Is it only at higher or lower temps?

What types of ales have you used it in?  Is it similar to Safale S-04? 

Seems like maybe the Nottingham Yeast is similar to S-05.  Is that true?

I have used Windsor on a few batches, but dont remember detecting any Banana. I will have to look through my recipes.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm
I use MR Malty, and feel it is the best place I have found on yeast strain comparisons. I'm sure there are others.

Cheers
Preston

I've used Nottingham several times and it is very neutral and clean and has a wider temp range that S-05, particularly on the low side.  It's good down to 57F I think.  It also really attenuates well. 

I consider S-04 and Windsor to be similar, both "English estery" and variable with ferm temps.  Higher temps => more esters. 

I've used Windsor in the first batch we brewed (an extract based Alaskan Amber Ale) - turned out fine - many friends have sampled it and no fruity / banana comments. Planning on using it again on a Fat Tire Ale clone. If anything I'd say keep your temp. around 70 deg or lower during primary fermentation

Back