• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beersmith calender

darklord3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
After creating a recipe am I able to adjust the calender from the auto populated days it states to move my beers to a secondary and or keg?  It is a nice feature but I would like to be able to select the days for a reminder as to when I transfer my beer.  Thanks for the help

The dates for those items are calculated based on your brew date plus the number of days in your fermentation/age profile you selected for the recipe.  You can adjust/edit the fermentation/age profile for the recipe to change the number of days in the primary, secondary, etc... which will also change those dates.

Brad

Been using the BS mobil for a while and just started using the desktop version.  My question is once you start a brew day it is added to the calendar so can you delete a brew day from the calendar?  I wanted to make sure I was comfortable in the desktop version and ran a test before actually starting a brew. So now I have two beers on the calendar.  Thank you

There are a couple of ways to manage the brew dates on the calendar.  You can go into a recipe and change the date on the recipe to change when it appears on the calendar function.

BeerSmith automatically inputs the brew date as the date you create the recipe.  I put all of my recipes back to 1/1/2001, so that they do not appear on the calendar until I want them to be there. 

Next, you can go into 'options' > 'brewing' > 'calendar options' and set the calendar to display all of your recipes, only those in the Brew Log folder, or only those in your main recipe folder.  You can also set for the calendar to display only those recipes where you are the brewer.  You can set this above to have only the exact text you put in as 'brewer' to appear on the calendar.

So to prevent the calendar from becoming cluttered up, I display only those recipes which I have copied into the 'brew log' folder and are intending to brew.  I keep the dates set at 1/1/01 until I am ready to set my schedule and give it the date I want to brew that recipe. Further, I blank out the brewer field in the main recipe and add my name in to the version in the brew log when I am sure I will be brewing it and I update all the information inside the recipe to reflect current pricing, updated lot information for the grains and hops, and date on the yeast package.

After you copy the recipe over to the Brew Log, can you make adjustments to actual ingredients used & process parameters without modifying the original recipe?

Also is it possible to print out a monthly brew report using the calendar?

As to the first question: Yes, the copy of the recipe in the brew log folder is a unique entry.  You can change what you want in that copy and it will not affect the original.  Likewise, any adjustment you make in the original will not affect copies of that recipe anywhere else in BeerSmith.

As to the second question, if you click on 'print' while in calendar view the program will print out the month which is showing.

Thanks Oginme, we're going to start using our brew log more actively soon depending on how quickly we can get to 100% indoor dining capacity here in CO

Regarding the calendar printout, what we're actually looking for is a way to record a brew history in list view every month.  From what I can see, the recipe archive is the best way to transfer this information to a .csv, but the calendar does not allow for an export to .csv.  I've reached out to Brad about this as well, but do you happen to know if there's a workaround or something I'm missing that will allow me to export data from the calendar to an Excel compatible file?

Edit 2/10/21:  Brad replied to a follow-up email I sent him about creating a brew history/archive:

coopsbrewers:  "1) Recipe Archive - are there more column options available (e.g., brew date, transfer date, keg emptied, etc.)?  I'm thinking that we may be able to use this as our brew history if I save this as a .csv
2) When I add a recipe to the Brew Log, is there a way to assign a unique batch #?"

Brad:  "1)  I recommend using the brew log instead - see at the bottom of my reply
  2) You can set the version number and brew date which is what I do, but I suppose you could add additional
info in the notes section or another field if you wish.
---
Brew Log:
  What I do is brew a recipe, keep track of it in the recipe notes and "actuals" fields, then use the Copy to Brew Log button to save a copy of the recipe
to my brew log.  Next time I brew I will bump the version number and brew date to match the new date and record again, then copy to brew log.

This way my brew log folder contains a list of all recipes "as brewed" and has dates and version numbers."

Resolution:  I tried his recommendation this morning and it works great!  No need to use the recipe archive as a brew history.  Tons more options for columns customization in the brew log

Back