• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help me understand water discrepancy

fognl

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all.  I've been away from brewing for a while, so I'm getting back into it now with the purchase of a Robobrew.  I've got the profiles imported into Beersmith 3, and everything looks to make sense, except for the water.

The recipe i'm building is for:

Batch Size:  22L
Est Pre-Boil Vol:  26.92L

The Mash tab states:
Mash in in with 24.13L
Sparge with 9.18L of water

Accounting for loss due to absorbtion (BS estimates 6.39L), boil-off (BS estimates 1.91L), etc, these numbers look fine.  So, that would equal a total water requirement of 33.31L .  However, on the water tab, BS3 is telling me I need a total water amount of 36.29L.

My question is, where does that 3L of extra water go to?  I can't think of for the life of me where this goes.  For fermentation/bottling, there's no top-up water listed.

I'm leaving my BH efficiency at 72% until I get a few brews under my belt with this system.  My goal is to fill my 5G keg.

Where on the water tab is it listing the 36.29 L of water?  There are two alternatives with the first being the total water listed on top and the water source listed in the design box.  If it is in the water listed in the design box then edit it to equal the total water.  If you add the water to the recipe before the recipe is complete, it may overstate or understate the amount of water needed based upon what the recipe looked like when you added the water.

For this reason, the water should be added to the recipe as the last major ingredient before starting the brew session.  Following that, you can enter the water salts as needed.  If you make any changes to the recipe, volumes of losses, or equipment profile following the addition of the water as an ingredient, you must go back and edit the volume to match the new water demand.

If this is not the case, then export the recipe as a .bsmx file (highlight the recipe in the folder, click on 'file' > 'export selected' and save as a .bsmx file)  and attach it to this thread so we can look to see how the balance might be off.

Great tip on the water, thanks for that.  So, I removed my water and salts, and re-added.  So, stupid question here, but in the add water screen, is the default of what BS3 has in the amount box calculated?  It says 36.72L right now.

On the water tab up top it says "Total Volume 36.72L", and in the water source, it now has the same, 36.72L.

Attached is the exported recipe.

Attachments

• Unammed-fognl.bsmx
    29 KB · Views: 165
When you add a water source, it defaults the amount to the total water called for in the recipe.  As long as the 'total water needed' and the amount in the box agree, then you are fine.  If they do not agree, change the volume of the water in the design box to match your 'total water needed' value and you will be all set.

Oginme said:
When you add a water source, it defaults the amount to the total water called for in the recipe.  As long as the 'total water needed' and the amount in the box agree, then you are fine.  If they do not agree, change the volume of the water in the design box to match your 'total water needed' value and you will be all set.

So by "total water called for in the recipe", does that mean the "Total Volume" up top on the water tab?

If so, that brings me back to my original question.  24.13L for mash, 9.18 for sparge only equals 33.31.  What step am I missing where the other approx. 3L gets utilized?

In your equipment profile, you have a top off to the kettle of 3.4 liters of water which is the difference.

You would be better served, from an efficiency standpoint, to move this water to your fly sparge.

Oginme said:
In your equipment profile, you have a top off to the kettle of 3.4 liters of water which is the difference.

You would be better served, from an efficiency standpoint, to move this water to your fly sparge.

Ahh, thank you!  I wonder why that was there for top up.  Either way, setting that to 0L and re-adding the water shifted the approx 3 L over to the fly sparge automatically.

Thank you very much for your help.

Back