• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Purchasing bulk grain and malt

sickbrew

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My new years brewing resolution is to start purchasing some malts in bulk (2-row).  I live in the Portland/Vancouver area and have yet to research local options other than the closest home brew shop, which doesn't sell bulk.

Just wondering where some of you get your grain, and if you get it online, where and how does that pan out when shipping 50lb sacks.

Cheers

Sacks run anywhere from $40-$100 depending on what you want plus if you have it shipped it will cost another $20.
Try to find it locally maybe at your home town brew shop. They may be a little higher than other places you could order from but not so much when you factor in the shipping. Plus supporting the home town is always good for everyone locally.

Also, plan a series of brews and begin hording supplies for them.

Start a bulk buying club with other home brewers in your area.

I'm also in the area and looking to move up to bulk purchases as soon as I pony up for the mill...

Steinbart's sells 50lb bags of Great Western 2-row for $42.50. They also have a variety of other malts in bulk. As stated above, there may be cheaper options through mail order but I can't imagine it's a better deal after shipping. Plus there's no delay with the local option.

good luck

$42 isn't half bad because you don't have to pay frieght.  I have seem Maris otter for $34 at midcountry in the far far southside of chicago.  If I was getting a ton, I'd go get it. But right now it is worth paying $10-12 extra at my lhbs where I can get all the stuff I need.

Hey!
Been away from the forums a bit and need to get back into the routine.
Been making beer, just not browsing the forum.  My bad!
I live in Astoria, Or and of course, shipping here is the pits!
I drive into Portland from time to time and will be picking up a bag of grain every so often now.
I got some at the brew store in Hillsboro.  They have decent prices and a great store!  Check them out.
And for me, just over an hour away.
Main Street Home Brew Co. (http://www.mainbrew.com/)

I got the barley mill that BeerSmith is advertising.  I have not tried it yet, but will soon.
Looking forward to using it!

Happy brewing!

Back