• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sharp, Tart scent similar to a sour beer in blonde ale.

BigBBrew

Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a tart scent, not stinky, using WLP051? I didn't see any mention of this in White labs description.
I made a Blonde Ale a few weeks ago using WLP051. Its been 2 weeks and there's a Tart scent like a sour but taste is very pleasant.
Fermentation started in 14 hrs at 66f and was steady (not as aggressive as wlpoo1) for 4 days and slowed. OG1.048/FG1.009 in 6 days.

I'm thinking I let it condition for a few weeks to see what happens.

Thanks,
Brian

51's a weird yeast, Generally catch sour cherry in the aroma depending on fermentation temp. 2 weeks is pretty fresh for that yeast, give it at least 2 more weeks, ideally 4-6 at a nice low lager temp to clear and clean up. I'd also recommend a diacetyl rest.

personally I've used it twice and found it to have a bit too much sulfur. I prefer 090,060blend,or001 for clean fermenting yeast, in that order.

Back