• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing, and heat.

dtapke

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
supposed to hit -30 here in Central WI wednesday, I'm thinking I'll brew up a big ol batch o sumpthin that night,  run the vent up to the living space, and see how it goes.

I brew electric in my basement, i'm thinking if i can evenly distribute all that steam throughout the house it'll make for a nice sauna like evening during near record low temps...

anyone else do anything like that?

You will certainly want a good catch drain to collect all that condensation as the piping travels up to cooler areas or you will have a real mess on your hands. 

I gotta admit, sometimes its fun when brewing in these temps to look out the window at the plume of steam instantly freezing too...

but yes i've actually got a bit of a condensation trap set up under my vent. I usually catch 1-2 gallons on a 30g 60m boil.

Hardcore! I brewed this weekend. It was 70. Tshirt and shorts. I had to worry about sun on my carboy. Oh, I pay the price to live in silicon valley for sure.

Update, didn't vent to the house, but during this cold snap my ground water was coming out at a toasty warm 38F so chilling 20 gallons didn't take very long with my Duda B3-36A 60 Plate. I think it was only about 5-6 minutes until the kettle was down to 70F.

Its also always fun to see the plume of steam shooting out the side of the house and instantly freezing on anything it touches.

Back