• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 3 for mac "Data Missing" message

kXb

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have seen some other posts with the same issue but no solution.  What the heck is going on and how the heck can I find my recipes??  I can't even get into the program since apparently I must point it to the right directory.  I've done a search of what I named the recipes but they are nowhere to be found.  I have had no updates to my OS or any other software on my computer.  The last time I used the program was perhaps in November.

What is the extension for recipe files?  If I knew I could maybe search by Time Machine backups. 

Thanks

Hi,
  If you are using BeerSmith 3 try going to File->Recover from Backup first.

For time machine the default location for the files is Documents/BeerSmith3 and the files for data all have a BSMX extension.

Brad

I ended up resolving this issue myself.    I would get the initial "Data Missing" error and try to point the program to the BeerSmith/Documents directory.  This would end up with an "Installation Problem" error.  There are only two options - to repopulate with default recipes or close.  Since I never did get an answer from BeerSmith on what to do since I couldn't get in to the program to restore, I ended up selecting the repopulate with default recipe option.  I was then prompted to obtain an access code (or authorization code?....can't remember the exact wording).    I went through those fairly easy steps and was able to access the program again with all my recipes intact!

A lovely outcome for sure but much stress was caused in the meantime.  I am going to check to be sure Time Machine is picking up the .bsmx files in the document directory. 

Back