• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kettle Modification

makemorebeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting some holes in my pot but I've got some concerns.  First off.  i'm using an 8gal. Tall boy kettle.  it's aluminum I think.  I've got a weldless ball valve, and am considering adding this to the kettle, as well as a thermometer.  the valve obviously is to help with transfer to the fermentor after boil and cool.  i'm wondering how people feel about this vs. the old fashioned way I've always done it which is to pour it in the bucket through a wire mesh strainer.  Pros, or cons?

Second question is the thermometer.  my interest in putting it in is to avoid needing to constantly check temperature during cooling to know when i'm down to pitching levels.  my concern is whether or not the probe will get in the way of my immersion chiller?  have people had this problem?  are there ways around it?  I've considered changing to a plate chiller but that's not in the cards right now.  so i'm just wondering if people think it's worth it to add these features, or if it'd be a waste of money for the headaches it'll make.

Thanks in advance.

I've drilled several kettles and used weldless couplers and fittings.  No problems.  You need the right drill bit for stainless.

I used a shorter probe for the thermometer.  Yeah, it can be a little in the way but never a problem. I hit it with a spoon when I am stirring quite often as well. 

Pouring through a mesh strainer isn't something I've ever done.  I have always limited my exposure to potential contaminates. I keep my carboy covered the entire transfer time .  When chilling I keep the lid on the kettle once the temp hits 140 and below.

You'll get cleaner holes if you use a knockout punch.

https://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-10-pc-60575.html

Back