• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

6 Bar Pressure

sdaniels

Apprentice
Reaction score
Whats the temp, what was your recipe, and how did you carbonate?

The short answer is 6 bar is far too high. That's champagne territory. the only way i would open those would be to chill to near freezing first. -2C or so. that should reduce the pressure to a more manageable explosion. If you can provide the recipe, carbonation method, and temperature that you're measuring that pressure at, perhaps i can be of assistance in determining what caused the over carb issue.

I also recorded the amount of CO2 bubbles. At the beginning it was very active, more than any beer I made. Probably due to the candy sugar. The final gravity was only 1.050. I should have been much lower, but after more than 2 weeks still getting bubble I decided to bottle it anyway. Maybe that was a wrong decision. But I thought due to the peak at the beginning the fermentation did start. I only used one pack of yeast but on the yeast description it said that i should use 2 for such an amount of wort, but I did only have one.

Likely under oxygenation of the wort upon pitching, or under pitched the yeast.

at 1.050 it still had a LONG way to go in fermentation, when you bottled, assuming you used a bottling bucket, you added some extra o2 to the mixture and essentially gave your wort a bit of a jump start. I assume you used wlp570. If you were pitching purepitch packs, you'd need at least 3 FRESH packs of yeast. or one pack of yeast on a 3L starter with stir plate to get the proper pitching rate. (Check the dates! sometimes you'll get 6 month old yeast, at that point its basically garbage)

Additionally 15C is far too cold for that yeast to effectively do its job, per White Labs WLP570 ferments best between 68-75F  (20-24C)

the beersmith yeast pitch rate calculator would show that you'd need around 350B cells for a beer of that gravity.

I'm gonna guess this is one of your first higher gravity brews? You'll find once you get above 1.060 you really need to oxygenate, pitch lots of yeast, and make sure you're hitting the temps. If it seems stalled out, it probably is!

I did the same thing on my first high gravity brew, except thankfully i was kegging it! brewed to 1.080, thought that it just finished up at 1.035 instead of the predicted 1.015 and kegged. made a helluva mess once it finally chugged its way to the finish line!

When you get around to opening one of those, wear gloves, a hard hat and eye protection. Also place lots of towels around the area. It is going to make a mess!

--GF

Yes. excellent point, those definitely should be opened with thick gloves and eye protection, and as much skin covering as possible.

preferably at a colder temp, you should be able to bring that pressure down by half if you get it down to -2C or so. but you're still talking about a lot of pressure there. It may be best to just toss them into a garbage bin from a safe distance.

Thank you all for these valuable information. I think I know now all my errors I did. and yes it was my first higher gravity beer and I thougt one pack of yeast is enough. It was also the first time i used liquid yeast. So I gess I learnd a lot for next time.
I openend one bottle yesterday and it gushed all out. I guess I have to toss it. :-( Do you think it would not gush in 4 Weeks if it would survive the preassure? Ist it possible to open the crown caps a little and close them again with the tool?
Probably all not worth it...

Kind regards
Sergio

Time won't help, bringing it down to near freezing will help a little, but not much.

at that pressure the concern of the bottle exploding and shooting glass everywhere would be the biggest issue.

Back