• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Reiterated Mashing

freelife

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Reiterated Mashing or double mashing.
How to use beersmith to do a double/Reiterat mash ?
The way I want to make the brew is fill mash tun with grains, hit it with strike water, sparge a little.
Then empty mash tun and collect for reuse in 2. mash.
Refill with new grains and use collected wort.

i?d be super happy for any advise ?
Cheers

care to elaborate a bit?

If you're just looking to do this for the purpose of a small mash tun, just create your recipe, then split your grains and water in half.

I want to make a high gravity stout. I was reading here http://beerandwinejournal.com/reiterated-mashing-1/

But how to do this as a recipe in beersmith ?

I am just thinking of how I would work this in BeerSmith and came up with the following:

I would make my first recipe as the initial mash just to get the target gravity from the first mash.  Then I would calculate the amount of extract needed to get that same amount of gravity and make my second recipe with the grains needed for the second iterative mash, add the amount of DME calculated earlier and the rest of the materials needed for the recipe. 

There may be a more elegant way of doing this, but this will get you where you want to go.

Yeah, I would say as per that if you wanted all grain i would just do as i mentioned before, make your recipe and split it in half. collect the strike water for the second mash from the sparging of the first mash.

as its an experimental process you're going to need to experiment with it!

as far as sparging the second mash with wort, you wont get as good of wort stratification, so i would do the second mash sparge with normal water.

seems like an interesting concept for sure.

Back