• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Unusual adjunct

Hose a de RR

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer (Bavarian Hefeweizen) on New Years Day. Everything was proceeding normally when shortly after the 1st hop addition, a small Yellowjacket bee flew over the brew pot and dropped like a rock into the boiling wort. I immediately removed it and renamed the beer Bieinestichen Hefeweizen ( Bee Sting Hefeweizen ). I continued with the brewing and after 12 hours the airlock is bubbling nicely.

My question is will the beer be affected by the addition of a bee?

Thanks in advance!

Happy New Year and Happy Brewing!

I'll let someone that actually knows answer for sure.

I just know it's preferrable that the yellowjacket is in the boil and not in an open bottle or cup of finnished beer.  We used to have several people a year swallow bees/wasps/yellow jackets and die when they got stung in the throat.

Other than the potential a-STING-ency..........sorry couldn't resist. 

During the boil, no problems. 

No problems, you beer will be fine as long as you boiled for at least 20 min.

I like that name tho! May use it for an IPA in the near future. If you don't mind that is... (Note: I will probably leave the bee/wasp addition out... ;D)

Cheers
Preston

Please, feel free to use the name all you want. I got it from a free language translation site on the web.
I missed spelled it though, it should be Bienenstich.
A native German at work confirmed the spelling and he told me that it is also a small cake with shaved almonds.
I like the beer association better.

The Bienenstich Hefeweizen is safely in the bottles.

After all the bottles were filled, we had about 1 cup of beer left so we split it. It has a definite clove and banana flavor with a touch of sweetness (I assume this is the priming sugar and the yeast will take care of it) and a nice mouth feel. With a bit of bottle conditioning and some carbonization this should be a pretty decent first batch.

I'm thinking about a pale ale for my second batch.

Good Deal, Always good to have success out of the gate.

I did a partial mash APA that was pretty good.  I could post it later if you are interested.  I liked it enough to try it as my first AG batch whenever that happens.

It was along the line of a craft brewery style. Dry/Hoppy/Crisp

I just couldn't wait so I chilled a bottle of the Bienenstich Hefeweizen and shared it with my ass't brewer. The bottle hissed nicely when it was opened. It poured a nice head and the beer was cloudly with no particulates. The sweetness is gone and a definite clove and banana taste was evident. The little beasties really did a good job.

WE MADE BEER!

We will be watching the Super Bowl and enjoying the fruits of our labors.

The next batch is planned for the weekend after the Super Bowl. It will probably be Live Oak Big Bark from Austin Home Brew.
I have aquired another frig, so I can better control the frementation temps. The summers in Central Texas can be brutal.

SOGOAK, I would be interested in your APA.

Back