• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast alcohol tolerance issues

Davehenry

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the alcohol tolerance of yeasts is capped at 10%? It took me a long time to figure out why my big beers have such a high FG estimate since switching from bs2. I?ve tried editing the yeasts o their proper tolerance but it saves as 10%.

I have yeast tolerances for those companies which publish a max yeast tolerance set at or close to published values by the yeast companies.  There are also several yeasts that I use where the companies have NOT published a max yeast tolerance and for those it is set to 10%.  If you find that the yeast tolerance is set to 10% and you have published information other than that, edit that yeast in the 'yeast' library and save it.  Then update that yeast within your recipes to get the new tolerance reflected in the recipes.  If you edit the yeast within the recipe, it will not change the yeast profile in the library of yeasts.

Yes I think I worded my question wrong. I do realize that you can edit the yeast in the library. My problem is that I have tried editing in both the library and in the recipe and both revert back to 10% when I press save. I have several yeast strains that are listed by labs to be well above 10%.

When I answered your first post, I had gone into BeerSmith and adjusted the tolerance of a few yeasts as a test.  I just checked and they are still maintaining that same value and have not reverted back to 10%.  Specifically, which yeasts are you trying to adjust?  I can try those and see what happens.

In this case I needed to create profiles for new yeasts that aren?t in Beersmith. Particularly Kveik strains from Omega, Escarpment, etc. Beersmith won?t let me change the percentage above 10. I?ve also tried changing some of the other yeast as a test and no luck.

I am not sure what is going on with your copy of BeerSmith, but I have no issue entering a new yeast with a tolerance greater than 10% nor changing an existing yeast to a tolerance greater than 10%.  I have exported and attached a copy of the Omega Kveik yeast as an example.  Let me know if it comes up as anything other than 11% when you open it.

If it comes through as 11% and you still cannot adjust or enter a yeast with a tolerance above 10%, I would recommend emailing Brad at BeerSmith at beersmith dot com and explaining your issue.

Attachments

• Kveik Yeast from Omega.bsmx
    1.4 KB · Views: 155
Ok so I spent some time working on this and I?ve come to realize that the problem is only on the mobile app on my phone and iPad. The desktop version works fine. So I?ve made new yeast profiles on desktop and added them to recipes on my cloud. Then I erased the profiles from mobile, gone into the cloud and saved the new ones. Seems like it?s working but I still am not able to change ANY of the tolerances for any yeasts. So I?ll email brad about that glitch.

I've also got this issue with mobile, but i draft my recipes in BS3 on a computer and only use mobile as a recipe tool when i'm out shopping lol.

Question for Brad; was the mobile version ever intended to be a mobile replacement for the desktop version... or a companion to the desktop? The later is how I always thought they were meant to be. I have never thought or even tried creating a recipe on my iPad. All recipe creation or tweaking happens on the desktop and the mobile is what I carry around outside in the garage on brew day and like dtapke says, as my shopping list.

Back