Author Topic: Eight gallon batches using two 5 gallon Carboys  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Rep

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Eight gallon batches using two 5 gallon Carboys
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »
Hi

I think I already know the answer to this, and am asking you to red flag anything.

I have a number of 5 gal carboys.  I want to begin increasing my house brew capacity without tying up my 6 gallon carboys.

I am thinking of using Beersmith and scaling my house beer to nine gallons.  Then I would split that 9 gallons into two five gal carboys for fermenting.

Are there any obvious problems with this approach that you see?

Offline SOGOAK

Re: Eight gallon batches using two 5 gallon Carboys
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »
I'd do it.  If they aren't huge volitale fermenting beers you'll have it good.  Otherwise, use the blowoff.
Good Recipe, Good Ingredients, Good Procedure, Good Sanitation = Good Brew.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:41:10 AM »
My standard deal is to ferment 4 gallons in a 5-gallon carboy.  Usually the krausen is 1.0 to 1.5 inches high and reaches the beginning of the shoulder curve at the top.  If you had 4.5 gallons with a vigorous yeast, you may need the blowoff. 

I use Ferm-Cap-S to remove the hot break foam at the start of the boil, and if I expect the ferm to be higher than usual, I put a drop there too.  (But that's only on wheats or when the yeast description says "true top-cropping.") 

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:37:50 AM »
+1
Sounds like a solid plan, and a good use of 5G Carboys! You could experiment with different yeasts to make each batch a little different, or make a Huge Starter, split it in half and go for it!
Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline Henway

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
You can also use foam-control in your ferment.  It cuts down the blowoff a LOT (though CO2 production is the same).

I use it in my starter, in the boil, and in the ferment.  Could you tell I like the stuff?

Offline SOGOAK

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
OK, I'm clueless on foam control. 

I am also VERY hesitant to use any "extra" adjuncts until I've thought it through.  I know it's probably too conservative or old fashioned, but For me it is part of learning.

With having used 5-6 different types of yeast, I've never had catastrophic foam.  Even with Wyeast 1214.  I'm jinxed now!!! :P
Good Recipe, Good Ingredients, Good Procedure, Good Sanitation = Good Brew.

modification