• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Eight gallon batches using two 5 gallon Carboys

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

I think I already know the answer to this, and am asking you to red flag anything.

I have a number of 5 gal carboys.  I want to begin increasing my house brew capacity without tying up my 6 gallon carboys.

I am thinking of using Beersmith and scaling my house beer to nine gallons.  Then I would split that 9 gallons into two five gal carboys for fermenting.

Are there any obvious problems with this approach that you see?

I'd do it.  If they aren't huge volitale fermenting beers you'll have it good.  Otherwise, use the blowoff.

My standard deal is to ferment 4 gallons in a 5-gallon carboy.  Usually the krausen is 1.0 to 1.5 inches high and reaches the beginning of the shoulder curve at the top.  If you had 4.5 gallons with a vigorous yeast, you may need the blowoff. 

I use Ferm-Cap-S to remove the hot break foam at the start of the boil, and if I expect the ferm to be higher than usual, I put a drop there too.  (But that's only on wheats or when the yeast description says "true top-cropping.") 

+1
Sounds like a solid plan, and a good use of 5G Carboys! You could experiment with different yeasts to make each batch a little different, or make a Huge Starter, split it in half and go for it!
Cheers
Preston

You can also use foam-control in your ferment.  It cuts down the blowoff a LOT (though CO2 production is the same).

I use it in my starter, in the boil, and in the ferment.  Could you tell I like the stuff?

OK, I'm clueless on foam control. 

I am also VERY hesitant to use any "extra" adjuncts until I've thought it through.  I know it's probably too conservative or old fashioned, but For me it is part of learning.

With having used 5-6 different types of yeast, I've never had catastrophic foam.  Even with Wyeast 1214.  I'm jinxed now!!! :p

Back