• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equpment Profile changes and mash efficiency

kbonura

Apprentice
Reaction score
Can someone educate me a little as to why when I edit my equipment profile to account for losses to trub and chiller in my boiler, it then will affect my mash efficiency?
I feel like I'm missing something as one isn't really related to the other (or is it)?
Changing this number only seems to affect my predicted SRM by recipe (doesn't seem to influence my SG or projected ABV), however changing the overall BH efficiency will directly affect both gravity and projected abv.
What's going on here that I'm not understanding? Why would changing a value about my boiler (not my mash tun) influence my mash efficiency and in my case project that my mash efficiency will go up by nearly 10 points?

any help would be super appreciated!
thanks!

I covered how BeerSmith treats the volume and sugar balance in the post which an be found here: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,20586.msg73403.html#msg73403

The short story is that BeerSmith uses the Brew House efficiency to determine the amount of sugar from the grains that reach the fermenter.  It back calculates the mash efficiency based upon losses.  So a change in process losses will not change the target gravity of the recipe.

Thanks! will take a few minutes to read when I have more time. So basically what you're saying is it won't affect the target OG and I should ignore the estimated OG figure?

Thanks!

Just read your post. Now I understand how the machine thinks.
appreciate the post!

Kyle

Back