• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to change the # of an ingredient

mlapoint

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Beersmith even though I have been brewing for 7+ years.  I am using someone else's recipe but it is not putting the ingredients in the same order as the website has them.  All I want to do is change the number that is in the # field to rearrange them.  Can somebody help please?  I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I do not see a "technical support" forum.

Thank You,
Mike LaPointe

Why does the order of ingredients matter? could you upload the bsmx file as well as the link to the original recipe?

It will determine order of ingredients based on when they are added, or the weight added (Base malts generally first, then lower weight/specialty malts later)

The # field is generated based on when and within which process an ingredient is added. It's not addressable directly. If you change where the ingredient is added, the # field will follow.

From what I have figured out, BeerSmith numbers the additives by the order of addition.  When one or more ingredients have the same time or point of addition, it will then order them based upon the following priority:  Fermentables, Miscellaneous, Hops.  Within these groups, it will list ingredients by the amount of the addition from largest to smallest and then alphabetically by the name of the ingredient.

This ranking makes sense for the majority of brewers who are looking at adding a list of ingredients and then easily identifying the priority items based upon the weight/volume for those being added at the same time.  If you have a number of ingredients being added at the same time, then it really does not matter if the recipe you are copying lists them from smallest weight to largest, or randomly as (in the case of grains) usually all be mixed together and added at once.

If it helps you can change the displayed order of the ingredients list by clicking the headers to sort them by that field alphabetically/numerically.

Back