• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kettle Size

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I want to make the jump to 11 gallon batches, what size kettle do I need?  My 10 gallon kettle has been great for 5 gallon recipes, but do I need to double it, or can I get away with 15?  Hopefully I can keep using the same burner...not sure.

You don't state your brewing process.  If you are using a standard mash tun (cooler or otherwise) then what Kevin58 stated is most likely correct.  Much also depends upon your boil off rate, standard time of boiling, and amount of trub you leave behind in your kettle upon transferring to the fermenter.

If you are doing BIAB, however, the calculations change quite a bit.  A good general recommendation for BIAB is o size the kettle at least 2x your batch size to accommodate the grain and bag which will be in the kettle during the mash.

Back