• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question on BeerSmith mash profile

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all ...
Just got my BeerSmith, and I'm just going through poking buttons and trying to take it all in.
Quite a program!
Question on mash definitions.
In pressing CHOOSE for a profile, I see a lot of light, medium and full body listed.
Can someone tell me what that relates to?
Is this the style of beer?  And where does one become the next?
Thanks, Bob

SkyFlyer said:
Hello all ...
Just got my BeerSmith, and I'm just going through poking buttons and trying to take it all in.
Quite a program!
Question on mash definitions.
In pressing CHOOSE for a profile, I see a lot of light, medium and full body listed.
Can someone tell me what that relates to?
Is this the style of beer?  And where does one become the next?
Thanks, Bob

As you set up your program do not change the profiles that came with the program.  Rather, make a copy of the profiles and rename them. 

I made copies of the light, medium and full bodied profiles then changed the information appropriate for my brewery and practices.

Somebody better educated in the technical aspects of beer bodies can explain all the differences between a light, medium and full bodied beer, but I simply trust there is one.

So, I tend to research a bit about the styles I want to brew and will generally locate a description of the body and then use my set up that corresponds.

It refers to the body or mouthfeel of the beer.  A light body beer will have a clean, crisp profile with not a lot of thick mouthfeel.  A heavy one will have plenty of mouthfeel and a more complex flavor profile.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks.
So, it is a personal feel.
There is no formula for determining which is light, medium or full.
I guess that will come with experience.
I'll have to start learning the lingo on how to describe the different tastes and feels of beer!
And yes, I have made a copy or two of the profiles.
I got some copies of the mash profiles that 'Useless Brewing' set up.
I need to study them for a while to find out the differences.
It will all happen ...

Hi Bob
I responded to your email about this subject, with brief descriptions and some information about the subject.
Welcome, and glad to have you on the forum.

Cheers
Preston

Basically it has to do with the mash temperature - if you notice, the mash temps are what changes when selecting either Light, Medium, or Full body.

Hope this helps,

- GL63

Back