• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast starter

Jivinwilly70

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is it possible in the software to increase the yeast starter from what Beersmith shows as the amount of yeast cells (from original package)?  I always create a starter by adding dme once or twice to the smack pack, which in turn should increase the amount of cells.  Any ideas?

Not quite sure that I follow, but it sounds like you are doing a multi-step starter.  If you are working in BeerSmith 3, then the steps for a 2-stage starter are already on the starter tab of your recipe. 

If you are still using BS2, then you can enter in the DME you use for the first starter.  You can then edit the yeast on the starter tab and increase the # of cells  in your package to be equivalent to what you think you achieved with the first starter.  There are also a few external calculators which will allow for multistage starters.

I'm also lost.

are you adding DME into a smack pack itself? If anything that would quite likely be harmful to the yeast.

to answer your question "Is it possible in the software to increase the yeast starter from what Beersmith shows as the amount of yeast cells (from original package)?"

you can alter the available yeast cells in a "package" by altering the cell count of the product via the "ingredients" tab. Personally I wouldn't recommend doing this without performing a yeast count, which requires dye, a microscope, and a hemocytometer.

Back