• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I see Lbs and oz not...

Rage

Apprentice
Reaction score
I set my options to show lbs and ounces.
** Set lbs and selected the check box for lbs + oz...

My recipes seem to work, but when I add to cart it changes to lbs only.
i.e. 8lbs 8oz  mecomes 8.5 lbs?

Did I miss something?

I understand this is correct but I'm lazy...
I want oz for under a # and Lbs + oz over.
The scale at my supply shop is readys lbs + oz.
So it is much faster when buying ingredients for several batches if my list matches else i'm standing at the scale doing math.
** That never ends well  :eek:

It would appear your best bet would be to print the recipes if this is an issue, I can't seem to find a way to change the units in the shopping cart either.

also, I imagine you can set the weight at your lhbs to decimals. likely under a "unit" button. then you can use decimals everywhere.

anyways, 8oz is .5, 4oz is .25, 2oz is .125 and every once is .0625, so it shouldn't be terribly complicated to do the math, although personally i normally just round everthing up to the nearest pound (or 5, or a bag) that way I'll have whatever i need on hand later.

if it's base, i buy a bag.

If its a specialty i use in many recipes, i buy 10-25lbs and keep in gamma seal buckets.

if its a specialty i dont use in many recipes, i round up and double, keeping the extra in vacuum sealed bags. this way if i want to do the recipe again i've got it handy.

I likewise purchase to the nearest pound when purchasing small specialty grains and bags for base malts.

Another trick that may help you out is to save the shopping list as a .csv file and then open it in your favorite spreadsheet program (or Excel).  You can then sort and recalculate the weights to lbs and oz if that is what you prefer.  I use all metric units and so have to do some quick calculations to pounds to purchase at my LHBS.  Luckily, I have been doing these calculations for most of my life so if I forget, I can do it on the fly pretty readily.

Back