• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

M54 Mangrove Jacks Californian yeast disaster

Scubabrewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Wanted to make a simple Pilsner with German malt, flaked corn (the family like Peroni), Saaz and a lager yeast. LHBS only had MJacks M54 so got that instead. Its a warm ferment so got it at 18-20degC as directed. Took 3 days to start but no worries it was under an air lock. Got from 1.052 to 1.012 in 14 days so ready to fine and rack to secondary but it smells and tastes phenolic. First dodgy beer in 30 years of home brewing so I really doubt my process or contamination, my brewery area and kit is very clean/sterile. Anyone else had this problem with this yeast ? I know it's going to be undrinkable. Comments welcome please.

I've heard of no good reports on mangrove jacks yeasts. many reports of phenolic off flavors, long lag times (3-5 days) etc. The only suggestion i could make would be to try holding it at a high temp for a little while longer, then dropping to "lager" it for awhile.

Honestly, yeast is yeast, any "lager" yeast that says optimal fermentation temp is 20c i would question.

Never used M54, but have had great results with several other MJ yeasts. What size batch, and how much yeast did you pitch?

Back