• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New salt

bougie1st

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Is it possible to add new salt types that can be used in the water chemistry tab?  I was reading Martin Brungard's article on Koln water in Zymurgy recently, and he talks of making calcium lactate to add. Whilst needing to figure out/find out dissociation (I'm assuming it is either complete or close to), I was wondering about being able to add it into the miscellaneous ingredients section. It is possible to add a water agent, though I can't see anything that allows some estimation of effect.

Are all these water related salts/acids dependent on Brad programming them in, or is there some ability for the user to add them in?

Just to clarify the inclusion of additional water agents into the equation, Brad used the pH model developed by Mark Riffe in BeerSmith.  The water agents we see in the program are the salts which Mark included in his modeling.  Before you can just throw in another water agent, it would be necessary not only to add the ions into the calculations and then modify the optimization software to account for a new variable, but also to determine the impact of the new agent on the pH of a multi-variant system. 

Thanks, Oginme

Pretty much as I thought - that's a no!

It'd be nice to have some way that people can let Brad know what other adjuncts they are using so that they can be considered for future updates.

BTW per personal communication with Martin, Calcium lactate (made with equimolar concentrations of Ca and lactate) would be expected to have minimal pH effects - so it is primarily the Ca addition to the mix

That sounds like a good addition to have. I often add Calcium hydroxide in order to increase calcium without changing sulfate or chloride, and the pH change that results is a nuisance that I need to compensate for. Having something that adds calcium without affecting pH would be great.

Back