• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refractometer Tool - Estimating FG

tdibratt

Brewer
Reaction score
I have a question.  I made a Saison 2 days ago.  My Refractometer said it was 1.060 going into fermenter.  2 days later I am taking a reading and I used a Hydrometer and it reads 1.040.  The refractometer reads 11.2 Brix.  So I use BS3 and put in the 1.060 starting with the 11.2 BRIX and it estimates it as 1.034.  Off from 1.040 I get with the Hydrometer.  Any ideas?  Thx

So several suggestions when using a refractometer.  First is to take all your readings in Brix and ignore the specific gravity scale.  Second is to make absolutely sure that your refractometer is zeroed out using distilled water.  If you see a reading above or below the zero mark -- clean your refractometer first before making any adjustments.  Retest, clean and then adjust your zero mark.  Next, use your hydrometer to calibrate your refractometer conversion from Brix to specific gravity.  It will be more accurate this way.

Fourth is to remember that you are taking a drop or two for your refractometer versus a graduate full for your hydrometer.  You are much more susceptible to sampling errors with your refractometer.  I take at least three readings with my refractometer to make sure it is consistent with a thorough cleaning in between readings.  Dried residue is very hard to see and can make a huge difference in your readings.  Especially since your wort in in the process of fermenting, take the readings with a grain of salt.  You have a fluid which is dynamically changing as the yeast continue to devour the sugars and by-products that are available to them.

Hydrometer and Refractometer both read zero.  I then made a solution of sugar and water and both read 1.020.  Next time I will take a few readings with the refractometer and see if I get consistent readings

thx

I use glass pipettes, rinse frequently and always "rinse" them a few times with the wort i am measuring before putting my droplets on my refractometer. That has helped me gain accurate readings.

something like: starting with clean pipette, "rinse" 2-3 times with wort, check reading, rinse with water 2-3 times, rinse with wort 2-3 times, check reading. If i get two different readings i will check a third time. otherwise i then rinse with water and store for future use in clean water.

similar treatment for the refrac, rinse with ro/di water dry with microfiber, check gravity. rinse with ro/di water, dry, check again, rinse with ro/di, then air dry for storage. (ro/di doesn't leave any sort of film, so it drys fine)

Back