• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Delayed fermentation start in calendar

Truman48

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys, so whilst BeerSmith 3 has allowances for no chill where you can adjust the hop utilisation and whirlpool times, what it doesnt do is allow you to create a delayed fermentation which is often associated with no chill.

Many brewers I know including myself will do a no chill brew, but then not pitch yeast onto that batch for a few days, weeks, even months. Other than creating an extra fermentation stage and making primary fermentation the waiting time, there is no other way I can see to do this.

I brewed on the 4th April but didnt pitch yeast until the 25th April. But my calendar said it should have been bottled and ageing by now.

Any ideas how this might be done, or is changing the primary fermentation to match the days its just sitting in the cube the only ay around this?

From what I can see in the fermentation profiles, BeerSmith does not support delayed pitching.  Your best bet is either to (1) adjust your initial fermentation step to include the idle time between the brewing and the pitching of the yeast or, as you figured out, add another step to account for that delay time in fermentation.

I honestly do not use the fermentation profile to much affect.  I have a set pattern for each beer based upon the style and the yeast strain and since the fermentation profile does not influence anything in the brewing process except the calendar in BeerSmith, I don't make a profile to match anything other than the initial steps.  I keep my dates separately on Google calendar and since BeerSmith does not coordinate with Google calendar (or any other that I know of) it really isn't worth my time to focus on making the calendar in BeerSmith come out correctly for me until after everything is said and done.

Oginme said:
From what I can see in the fermentation profiles, BeerSmith does not support delayed pitching.  Your best bet is either to (1) adjust your initial fermentation step to include the idle time between the brewing and the pitching of the yeast or, as you figured out, add another step to account for that delay time in fermentation.

I honestly do not use the fermentation profile to much affect.  I have a set pattern for each beer based upon the style and the yeast strain and since the fermentation profile does not influence anything in the brewing process except the calendar in BeerSmith, I don't make a profile to match anything other than the initial steps.  I keep my dates separately on Google calendar and since BeerSmith does not coordinate with Google calendar (or any other that I know of) it really isn't worth my time to focus on making the calendar in BeerSmith come out correctly for me until after everything is said and done.

Thanks Oginme. Ive only just started using the calendar as Ive done a lot of brewing in the last month and am not keeping up with what was done when etc. I find the calendar a good way to remind me when I bottled something etc but its a pity you cant manually add a pitching day or a bottling day to your brews.

Back