• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Partial Boil in Beersmith

Javaslinger

Brewer
Reaction score
I've recently tried some partial boil extract batches in my instant pot.  Nice way to very quickly get some wort and try out some hops. 

I think I've been able to implement a reasonable Equipment Profile by using my Instant Pot volume of 6L as the 'Mash Tun Volume' and 'Boil Volume'.  I then use the 'Top Up Water' to top off my total volume to the desired amount in the 2-gallon bucket fermenter.  Seems to be working ok.

What I would like it to be able to input the Post Boil - Pre Top Off gravity.  As far as I can tell, the only post boil gravity you can use would be after topping off the water.  The extra measurement would help me determine if I need less or more volume than expected to hit my desired OG.  Is that possible in BS3 or can it be added?

if you set up an extract profile it would be the "pre-boil" gravity.

Edit: not exactly. but that would be the closest i think you can get. at this point your boil off volume would have to be accurate and then you wouldn't have to worry about it. (another words, it should be "close enough")

If you are looking to target your OG from a partial boil, take your post boil gravity reading and volume and use the dilution tool to dial in the water volume needed to reach your intended OG value.

Back