• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

need help i'm tring to become a new weekend brewer

could any body help me with some advice about different recipes.

• help tring to get started

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • need some advice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

randy eaton

I'm thing about getting a brewing kit and starting my own homemade beer so if you would please give me some tips.

randy eaton said:
I'm thing about getting a brewing kit and starting my own homemade beer so if you would please give me some tips.

First of all, welcome to BeerSmith.

There are tips all over the place on this forum.  And, a google search will turn up a ton more.  What kind of advice are you looking for?  You posted this in the recipe forum, so I believe that you are seeking a recipe.  Look at BeerSmith's "Recipe Archive".  You will find a link at the top of the page to many,  many fine recipes.  Good luck.

Welcome Randy - it's a fun hobby. 

I'd recommend an ale over a lager recipe kit, b/c ales finish quicker, require less temperature control over a much narrower range, less time and patience, etc.

From ales, I'd pick a simple recipe of a beer style you like.  Starting out, sanitation is the critical factor to making a clean and enjoyable brew.  I'd recommend Star-San "no rinse" sanitizer.  Bleach works but you need to rinse it off, defeating the purpose.  Iodophor has its fans, but it can stain things brown, which may not work for one's personal situation (i.e., my sink is white acrylic). 

Have fun!  Unless you're going straight to kegs, start collecting bottles and soak them in ammonia or Oxy-Clean (and hot water) to remove the labels. 

Welcome to the forum Randy
I would make the suggestion of reading a couple books that helped me to understand the basics of what I was getting into. Two in particular to start with are: "How to Brew" by John Palmer, and "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charles Papazian.

Head to the Local Brew Shop (If available) and talk to them. They can get you started brewing beer quickly and on the road to making the best beer you have ever tasted!

Cheers
Preston

I'm new enough that I can share some of my stumbling.  For me the little things are laughable.  For example, i typically use 6 gallon glass carboys.  In extract and most partial mash recipees you are only boiling part of the beer.  You are in a sense making concentrate and then "topping up with water."

Make sure you know how much water makes 5 gallons in your fermentor.

You'll loose water to evaporation too.

Aside from knowing your equipment and proper sanitation, as long as you follow the recipee and use the right ammount of good ingredients, you WILL make good beer.

+1 on ales.  I like them over lagers typically and they are easy.  You will want to do some of those to get the basics down.

Then like Preston says, Papazian and Palmer are great base knowledge.

Then knowledgable brewers like on here or tastybrew will fill in gaps.

Welcome to the forum.

When i started out three years ago, I started with a canned beer.  Good way to get your feet wet imo.  After that I did a few extract and partial mash beers before moving to all grain.  When i was starting, I read the John Palmer's book from cover to cover, noting (highlighting) the portions that I wanted to find for later reference.  I still use it when I am looking to do new things with my beers.

Since then i have been using BS to design my own recipes and try them out.  I currently have a brown ale, a mead, and a fruit beer in fermentation.

John Palmer's book will take you through the whole process starting with the description of the beginning equipment required.  Good book altogether.  Papazian's book is another very good reference.

Good luck with your beers and feel free to ask for more help/information.

A couple things that I would suggest.
*Buy a 6 gallon glass carboy for primary fermenter.  If you use a 5 gallon, it will overflow when it really starts fermenting.
*Use liquid yeast packets.  You will have a large source of yeast and the batch will start fermenting quickly thereby preventing off flavors from air borne yeast, etc.  I tried to get by cheap with the dry yeast but never had good success with it.  If you do want to go this way, start a small batch of maybe 1/2 gallon to get the yeast really going.  Then cook your big batch and pitch the entire 1/2 gallon into the big batch.  This will gaurantee a good quick fermentation with no off flavors!
*As someone else suggested try Ale first.  You can ferment at room temperature.
*Find a quiet area of the house that has constant temperature.  I had to build a temperature control box and put it in my always cold basement.  Without this, the temperature swing stalled many batches during fermenting.  Nothing more frustrating than a stuck batch.
*Keep light out of your fermenter.
*If you decide to keep homebrewing, buy a kegerator and some pop kegs.  I am able to bottle into the keg, force carbonate, chill, and taste test my beer.  I have had many batches that were too harsh to drink at first, but by the time the keg got to half way point, it was really good.  I may be drinking it too soon, but always wanting to try the new brew.

That is all I can think of for right now, good luck and good brewing!

Back