• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Star San user

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've been using Iodafor but got tired of the staining etc.

Star San is mixed 1oz to 5G --- so I mix 1/4oz to 1.25G to sanitize for racking tonight. Very sudsy ---- rinsed the carboy --- let it drain a minute or 2 still lots of suds in there. Seemed kinda freaky to pour my brew in with those suds .... otherwise very easy to use.

Hoping for no off tastes ... of course this batch has some issues so if its shot I won't cry.

SleepySamSlim said:
I've been using Iodafor but got tired of the staining etc.

Star San is mixed 1oz to 5G --- so I mix 1/4oz to 1.25G to sanitize for racking tonight. Very sudsy ---- rinsed the carboy --- let it drain a minute or 2 still lots of suds in there. Seemed kinda freaky to pour my brew in with those suds .... otherwise very easy to use.

Hoping for no off tastes ... of course this batch has some issues so if its shot I won't cry.

Your brew is not shot due to the use of Star San.  An old saying is, "Don't fear the foam".  It looks odd, but go for it and don't look back.  It is good stuff.

You can save the stuff for reuse weeks down the line.  I will use a PH strip to check the PH level.

+1 for "Don't fear the foam"
It is good stuff!

Cheers
Preston

Star San is great, and like the others have said, the foam is safe.  For times when you want a low foaming sanitizer (i.e. in a spray bottle for sanitizing surfaces), you can use Saniclean.  It's made by the same manufacturer.  Just remember that you need to use twice as much when mixing up a batch, and the contact time is longer...

Back