• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment setup Help with mash water volume vs. boil volume

Klfranssen

Apprentice
Reaction score
Mash in volume is 16.63q. and mash out is 8.75qt.  Boil volume is 8 gallons.  What setting do I adjust so the mash in and out volumes get me to my target boil volume. 

You don't.  The boil volume is back calculated from the batch size (volume to fermenter) through the process using the process specs you indicate in your equipment profile.  You can follow the volumes in the 'volume' tab in your recipe if you have a question on how the program is coming up with the numbers.  Given what you describe, I would suspect that you are topping off the boil kettle or the fermenter with water and that cuts down on the volume which is remaining to participate in the mash and sparge.

If you want more specific help, export a recipe with your equipment profile as a .bsmx file and post it here.  That way we can see how you have your system set up and offer some specific advice.  you can export a recipe (or any other profile) by right clicking on the recipe and selecting 'export selected'.

Here are a couple of tutorials the walk you through setting up an accurate equipment profile...
https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ

And this one is really good at getting to every drop of lost or recoverable volume...
https://youtu.be/HwEbjOt8OR8

Just as important is to set up mash profiles. Go to the channel home of the first video and look for mash profiles. Marshall has one for batch sparging and BIAB.

Thanks for the advice.  I will check out the videos.  I am using BeerSmith mobile so I don?t think I can export my equipment profile and recipe.  Cheers.

Klfranssen said:
Thanks for the advice.  I will check out the videos.  I am using BeerSmith mobile so I don?t think I can export my equipment profile and recipe.  Cheers.

Second best option is to post a screen capture of your equipment profile or list your inputs to all the parameters here.  At least we will be able to figure out your process to some extent.

All right, your mash profile has a mash in and a mash out steps with a batch sparge.  The volumes are identified for the initial infusion and for the mash out in the profile.  When you apply these profiles to your recipe, the program will calculate your sparge water to make up the required volume to get to your pre-boil target.  You should see this in the mash steps of your recipe.

As I don't have the mobile version, I cannot point you where to look.  Hopefully someone who does can chime in to give you specifics on where to look to identify the sparge volume in the recipe.

Back