• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Settings

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have had difficulty, "Dialing" my system in and gaining a decent efficiency.  I am attempting to redo my equipment settings and ask advice.

I use a converted key with a ball valve.  I have the following settings within my, "Equipment" settings in BeerSmith.  These are listed in the "Boiler" section.

Calculate boil volume automatically is checked

Evaporation rate = 15%
Lost to Boil or Trub = 1 gallon
Top up Water = 0
Final volume = 5.50 Gallons

Boil time = 60 minutes
Cooling Loss percent = 4%

Over time, I have changed the, "Lost to Boil or Trub" at times increasing and at other times decreasing it.  The last two beer I brewed I left about a gallon in the kettle.  This would impact my efficiency. 

(Also, I do not like to tip the boil kettle to reduce losses.  That may be my downfall.  What do you think?)

This is what I did today.

I measured eight gallons of water and added it in one gallon increments to the boiler.  I was then able to recalibrate my measuring stick.

I then opened the ball valve and drained the water out.  Once the water stopped draining, I tipped the boiler and measured the results.  I got 1Gallon, 3quarts and 1/2 cup out.

I then poured all that was left from the boiler into a measuring cup.  I got 3 cups out.  (3 cups = .19 gallons.)

So my new Lost to Boil or Trub should be .19 gallons, right?

Does my 15% boil off figure look reasonable for a converted keg?
Will a .19 gallon Lost to Boil and Trub hold up even when I begin measuring actual trub?

Thanks

Do you have a elbow going into the kettle?  This "siphon tube" should have a 90 degree bend and nearly touch the bottom of the keg.  With that, your amount lost to trub should be only .5G or so.

I have a full 15G keggle with:

Lauter Tun deadspace = 0.2G
Evap rate = 9%
Lost to trub = .5G
Boil volume = 12G
Final Volume = 10G

The evap is with a ROLLING boil with anti-foam for 10G batches.  So yeah, I think 15% evap is HUGE unless your width exceeds your height on your boil kettle...

I use a pump for a whirlpool chiller and angle the keggle towards the end and have figured out I leave only .4G  The whirlpool gets most of the trub to the center so when I angle it, it isn't an issue.

Henway said:
Do you have a elbow going into the kettle?  This "siphon tube" should have a 90 degree bend and nearly touch the bottom of the keg.  With that, your amount lost to trub should be only .5G or so.

I have a full 15G keggle with:

Lauter Tun deadspace = 0.2G
Evap rate = 9%
Lost to trub = .5G
Boil volume = 12G
Final Volume = 10G

The evap is with a ROLLING boil with anti-foam for 10G batches.  So yeah, I think 15% evap is HUGE unless your width exceeds your height on your boil kettle...

I use a pump for a whirlpool chiller and angle the keggle towards the end and have figured out I leave only .4G   The whirlpool gets most of the trub to the center so when I angle it, it isn't an issue.

Yes, I do have a 90degree elbow.  I installed that and this is the reason for my redoing my settings.  The .19 gallon of boil & trub is a result of the elbow.

Boiling in the dry winter in WI has resulted in my 15%.  I may drop that a bit and try it out.

I have not been whirlpooling and will give that a try tomorrow as well.

Back