• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steeping...

B

BeerBatteredRob

so my ingredients for a pale ale were delivered from northern brewer today and upon opening it i realized that like a big dummy i forgot to order one of the bags to put the grains in while they're steeping...anyone know any good alternatives that can be used?  Thanks!

BeerBatteredRob said:
so my ingredients for a pale ale were delivered from northern brewer today and upon opening it i realized that like a big dummy i forgot to order one of the bags to put the grains in while they're steeping...anyone know any good alternatives that can be used?  Thanks!

Typically, at least up to a year ago when I was brewing NB kits the bags were included.  What about anything muslim, (SP) or, pantyhose type material?

you don't need much, but water has to be able to seep through. 

Call NB, maybe they forgot to place a steeping bag in the order.  I do believe they sell them at the store.  If you are brewing tonight and the warehouse is closed, do try the store.  They give pretty good advice.

that was what threw me, i didnt buy a kit...just putting ingredients together and it slipped my mind

i suppose pantyhose could work, i was also thinking maybe cheesecloth?

oh btw, to answer your question (i think it was you that asked about my maiden voyage for my new mash tun)  i havent quite decided on what i'm going to do yet...i was kind of thinking of maybe some sort of stout...but we will see

BeerBatteredRob said:
that was what threw me, i didnt buy a kit...just putting ingredients together and it slipped my mind

i suppose pantyhose could work, i was also thinking maybe cheesecloth?

oh btw, to answer your question (i think it was you that asked about my maiden voyage for my new mash tun)  i havent quite decided on what i'm going to do yet...i was kind of thinking of maybe some sort of stout...but we will see

OK, that makes sense now.  Yes, I think cheesecloth would work great.

Hmmmm, Stout?  sounds good.

^  I've also used cheesecloth before, in a pinch.  Just give it an occasional dunk (like you would with a tea bag), as it's not quite as porous as a muslin-type bag.

Home Depot or Lowes may have a nylon paint straining bag for a five-gallon bucket.  Pros use them to sift the sludge out of the paint before using a power spray painter.  Bag is about size of bucket with elastic band at top.  Try the aisle with the power painting equipment. 

Back