• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Struggling to modify OG and FG on recipe

DianaGiandinoto

Apprentice
Reaction score
Fairly new homebrewer here.  I have a recipe under my recipes, I want to modify it as on this last batch I unfortunately over-sparged and so my OG and FG are different.  I want to make adjustments on this recipe so I have it for reference.  This will of course be more of a Sesssion IPA

My actual OG is 1.040,  my FG is 1.010

I've gone into the app clicked actions/edit/brewing session data.  There I changed the meas post mash grav, the boil qty (since I ended up with 7gals in my boil) and the measured FG figures.  Hit save and then when I exit edit mode my figures are still showing the original ABV, OG and FG.

If I try to change the OG in the Gravity, Bitterness and Color bars then it throws off all my ingredient quantities.

Please help, I've been trying to fix this for weeks! I know this app is powerful but it seems compilated and difficult to learn  :-\

Attachments

• recipe summary.jpg
    recipe summary.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 234
  • reipe session.jpg
    reipe session.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 241
What you are trying to do can be done, but part of the reason for the software (or written brewing logs and notes) is to track your actual results with what you intended to do.  Your actual measured values already captures what you produced and since you already know one of the main reasons you did not hit your target numbers you can use the 'notes' section of the recipe to capture this deviation from your planned process. 

If you are hell bent on making the recipe targets match your actual results, then you need to go back and edit your equipment profile within the recipe to set the volumes and brew house efficiency to match what you achieved during the brew session.  This will reset the brew day targets to match your actual results (assuming that your readings are accurate).  Unless you plan on adopting this new process for future brews, however, it really does not help you in any meaningful way for the next time you want to brew this recipe (again, assuming that you actually want to hit the targets you designed the recipe around).

Back