• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Unfermentables contributing toward gravity

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm sure that BeerSmith does this, but I've got to ask to make sure: does BeerSmith take into account unfermentable sugars when calculating the final gravity?

For instance, let's say I have a recipe using 8 pounds of pale malt and 1 pound of crystal. Obviously, the program will account for the gravity contribution of the crystal in the starting gravity. Depending on the yeast choice, I'll end up with a predicted final gravity. Does the program use some sort of information in the grain specifications to dictate where the gravity will finish?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd like to see a breakdown of how many gravity points are contributed by fermentable sugars, and how many are contributed by unfermentable sugars. I'm sure this is clear as mud... let me know if it makes no sense  :p

Colin,

This is an issue that has come up often.

At the moment BeerSmith applies the average attenuation for the particular yeast to the original gravity to arrive at a final gravity estimate.  The assumption is that the yeast attenuation is a dominant factor.

Obviously other factors also come into play such as fermentation temperature, percent of adjuncts used, aeration, pitch rate, mash temperature and many many more factors.  The problem is there is no good data I am aware of that accurately estimates these factors.

Without empirical data it is hard to accurately estimate the FG in all cases - however this is similar to the system used in other programs.  In fact some programs do not even accurately take into account the yeast strain used.

If you (or anyone else) is aware of any empirical data I would be more than happy to work it into the program.  For example I thought of adding a small adjustment to the FG related to the mash temperature -- but how much?  For example how much lower is a 152 F FG than a 158 F mash FG??  Hard to tell...

Cheers!
Brad

Brad--

We have talked about this kind of thing before... that's right. I guess I had a different question in my mind, but once I went to ask it, I lost track of it all.

I totally understand what you're saying, so that much is cool! Let me see if I can get my last remaining braincells to regroup and ask the question I was trying to pose initially.

Thanks for your response, anyway!

Back