• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

importing/exporting files

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've shared a recipe, and it seems that I've forgotten how.  Can someone please take me through the steps?

Thanks

I tried "Export selected", and chose to export it to my desktop as a bsmx file, but I couldn't find it there right away.  After doing a search, it came up but I couldn't open it.  It was trying to open it with Acrobat Reader by default - can't remember if it did this in the past when I was able to open these files.  Is there a way to get it to open in a different program, or better yet, is there a way to make a PDF so Acrobat will open it?

The best way I've found is to copy and paste the Brew Steps page into Microsoft Word, edit as you wish (I delete the pic of the beer glass and other irrelevant information) and then save as a PDF.

You should be able to open the .bsmx file through BeerSmith by clicking on 'open file' and then changing the location to your desktop.  As set up, it should only show you .bsmx files unless you direct it to show you all the files.  If the program will not open your first export, I would try going through the export file again.

You can 'print' the report as a .pdf file using Windows by clicking on 'print' and then selecting 'microsoft print to pdf'.  The program will open a dialog box to allow you to save the file as a .pdf.

Thanks Oginme!
Much easier than my way. As much as I use print to PDF, I don't know why I never thought to use it for this :)
Guess the only advantage to my way is the ability to edit if you only have Acrobat Reader.

kw642 said:
...It was trying to open it with Acrobat Reader by default

Maybe just change the association for .bsmx files to open with Beersmith.

On Windows, Beersmith installer sets file associations. I can't find a way to do that without uninstall/reinstall.

On your desktop, right click the bsmx file and select Open With then find Beersmith3 and check the box to always use this app... Then click OK. Windwos sould now always with beersmith 3.

You can share the bsmx with other beersmith users who can import or just double click the file then in beersmith 3, copy the recipe to the desired folder.

To print to PDF, you need a PDF print driver installed. You can print the recipe (opens a IE print dialog) then print to the PDF printer which will prompt where to save the PDF.

For different looks or output formats, with the default view, select a recipe but don't open it. In the bottom pane, you will see the recipe displayed. On the header for that pane, you can change the Report style. Then you can print  or save. Depending on the report style, you can save as text or html. I like to use plain text and save a text file.

Back