• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Propper Yeast Starter product

aware

Apprentice
Reaction score
Have any of you used Omega Yeast's Propper Yeast Starter canned product? I'm using it for the first time with a batch of beer and wonder what any of you have experienced with it.

I am only using it because I am very short on time for this particular batch. I haven't found where to add it as an ingredient n the BeerSmith software, but that is totally fine. I'll enter the gravity and volume under the starter tab.

What results have any of you seen with using the Propper starter vs traditional yeast starter methods?

Propper yeast starter is just a LME with some yeast nutrient added.  I have a can I picked up at HomeBrewCon this past June, but have not used it yet. 

According to the instructions, you dilute the contents of the can to 1 liter and it produces a 1 liter starter.  In terms of entering it into BeerSmith, I would just use it as a straight sub for LME.

FWIW I make my own, brew up a batch of wort, cool, pour into mason jars and add your yeast nutrients, then pressure can 15m@15psi.

I brew to 1.080 and dilute 50/50 with water.

Back