• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Brewer, This is a Neipa recipe... Suggestions Please

JVBru

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I am quite new to brewing, I have done one so far which..well came out drinkable, very strong and quite string in taste too...at least it wasn't wine! haha !! :eek:

So my next brew I want to try a Neipa style, I have created a recipe but would love if anyone had some pointers/ suggestions etc.
I am using a 3 vessel system.

Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 33.51 L
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 30.21 L
Final Bottling Vol: 24.00 L
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
Date: 19/10/19
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: My Equipment
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
5.17 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.7 EBC) Grain 1 82.7 % 3.37 L
1.08 kg Oats, Flaked (3.0 EBC)         Grain 2 17.3 % 0.70 L
14.00 g African Queen      [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 14.3 IBUs -
10.00 g Southern Promise [11.20 %] -  Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 7.7 IBUs -
25.00 g Amarillo [6.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 2.7 IBUs -
25.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.5 IBUs -
25.00 g Citra [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.7 IBUs -
25.00 g Comet [10.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.8 IBUs -
25.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.0 IBUs -
2.0 pkg Vermont Ale (Yeast Bay #-) Yeast 10 - -
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 39.7 IBUs
Est Color: 8.6 EBC
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Calories: 531.7 kcal/l
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Sparge Water: 23.47 L
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Est Mash PH: 5.69
Measured Mash PH: 5.20
Total Grain Weight: 6.25 kg
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
Target Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Acid Addition: None
Sparge Acid Addition: None
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.32 L of water at 76.8 C 68.9 C 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (6.70L, 16.76L) of 75.6 C water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Bottle
Pressure/Weight: 150.80 g
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21.1 C
Fermenter:
Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Carbonation Est: Bottle with 150.80 g Corn Sugar
Carbonation (from Meas Vol): Bottle with 150.80 g Corn Sugar
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 18.3 C

Grain bill and yeast look OK. I'm not familiar with the first two hops, but I don't think that Comet and Fuggle really fit. NEIPAs generally use hops that are fruity, not floral or herbal or woody. Cascade may be OK, Amarillo and Citra are definitely good. Perhaps just stick with those. Also, consider some "whirlpool" hop additions after the boil, when the temperature has dropped to 75 C or so. That will extract the hop flavor and aroma without getting any bitterness at all. The 5 minute boil will still be getting some bitterness from the hops and will be boiling off some of the aromatic oils. Changing to (or adding) post-boil additions will preserve the aroma without generating any bitterness.

--GF

Quite ambitious for your second brew. 

The aspect of a NEIPA which makes it stand out is a high prominence of hop flavors produced from high levels of hops in the whirlpool/hop stand and dry hopping.  Check a few recipes from some on-line sources (BeerSmith recipe web site, HomeBrewTalk recipe archives, AHA recipes, etc) and see how people are putting together their recipes, what steps they are doing and how much hop material they are using at what stage of the brewing/fermenting.

Your hop choices are pretty good until you get to the Fuggles.  you have a great combination of fruity, citrus, grapefruit, orange hops.  Then you have Fuggles, which fits none of those descriptors.  The earthy, mint, grassy, and floral notes.  Definitely a clash with the other hops you have chosen.

Your malt bill is nice and simple, which is very typical of an NEIPA.  I would recommend if you are going to bottle this that you change your flaked oats to malted oats.  They will not oxidize as fast as the flaked oats are prone to do.  Since this is the Achilles heal of this style (quickly oxidizes and turns off-color and off-flavor), plan on drinking it fast and doing everything you can to minimize oxygen pick-up after fermentation.

Hey everyone,

So I am quite new to brewing, I have done one so far which..well came out drinkable, very strong and quite string in taste too...at least it wasn't wine! haha !! :eek:

So my next brew I want to try a Neipa style, I have created a recipe but would love if anyone had some pointers/ suggestions etc.
I am using a 3 vessel system.

Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 33.51 L
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 30.21 L
Final Bottling Vol: 24.00 L
Date: 19/10/19
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: My Equipment
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
5.17 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.7 EBC) Grain 1 82.7 % 3.37 L
1.08 kg Oats, Flaked (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 17.3 % 0.70 L
14.00 g African Queen [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 14.3 IBUs -
10.00 g Southern Promise [11.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 7.7 IBUs -
25.00 g Amarillo [6.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 2.7 IBUs -
25.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.5 IBUs -
25.00 g Citra [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.7 IBUs -
25.00 g Comet [10.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.8 IBUs -
25.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.0 IBUs -
2.0 pkg Vermont Ale (Yeast Bay #-) Yeast 10 - -
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
metallic epoxy flooring boston
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 39.7 IBUs
Est Color: 8.6 EBC
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Calories: 531.7 kcal/l
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Sparge Water: 23.47 L
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Est Mash PH: 5.69
Measured Mash PH: 5.20
Total Grain Weight: 6.25 kg
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
Target Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Acid Addition: None
Sparge Acid Addition: None
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.32 L of water at 76.8 C 68.9 C 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (6.70L, 16.76L) of 75.6 C water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Bottle
Pressure/Weight: 150.80 g
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21.1 C
Fermenter:
Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Carbonation Est: Bottle with 150.80 g Corn Sugar
Carbonation (from Meas Vol): Bottle with 150.80 g Corn Sugar
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 18.3 C
It's great that you're venturing into brewing and trying out a NEIPA-style beer! Here are some pointers and suggestions for your recipe:

1. Grain Bill: The combination of Pale Malt and Flaked Oats is commonly used in NEIPAs to achieve a smooth and hazy mouthfeel. Your proportions look good, with the majority being Pale Malt and a significant amount of Oats for added body.
  2. Hops: NEIPAs are known for their juicy and tropical hop character. Your hop selection looks solid, with Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, Comet, and Fuggle contributing to the aroma and flavor profile. Consider adjusting the hop additions to focus more on late additions and dry hopping to enhance the hoppy character.
  3. Yeast: Using a Vermont Ale yeast strain is a great choice for a NEIPA. It typically produces fruity esters and contributes to the haze in the beer. Make sure to follow the recommended fermentation temperature range for the yeast to get the desired flavors and aromas.
  4. Water Profile: NEIPAs often benefit from a water profile with higher chloride levels, which enhances the perception of maltiness and adds to the smooth mouthfeel. Consider adjusting your water chemistry accordingly, if possible.
  5. Dry Hopping: NEIPAs typically undergo significant dry hopping to maximize the hop aroma and flavor. You may want to consider adding a dry hop addition during fermentation or post-fermentation to enhance the hop character. This can be done by adding hops directly to the fermenter for a few days.
  6. Carbonation: Since you mentioned you'll be carbonating in bottles, make sure to follow proper priming sugar calculations for your desired carbonation level. Use a reliable online calculator to determine the appropriate amount of priming sugar based on the temperature and desired carbonation level.
  7. Fermentation and Aging: NEIPAs are best enjoyed fresh, so consider reducing the aging time to around 1-2 weeks after fermentation to maintain the beer's vibrant hop character.
Remember to maintain proper sanitation practices throughout the brewing process and monitor fermentation temperature to ensure a clean and healthy fermentation.

Experimentation and tweaking recipes is part of the fun of brewing, so feel free to make adjustments based on your personal taste preferences and experiences. Happy brewing, and enjoy your NEIPA!

Back