• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water

J

jharle2

Does anyone know the type of water or profile for a Kolsch beer? I'm brewing one this coming weekend and not having much luck with the water profile.

Thanks
Jeff

jharle2 said:
Does anyone know the type of water or profile for a Kolsch beer? I'm brewing one this coming weekend and not having much luck with the water profile.

Thanks
Jeff

I am sorry, I do not.  If you find it, maybe pass it on to Brad as he may want to add it to the BeerSmith database.

My journey continues. I will check for water profiles in Cologne and see if I have any luck.

Thanks
Jeff

Ca++ CO3-- Cl- Mg++ Na+ SO4--
104  152    109 15    52  86

This is what I came up with but the problem is I can't verify the source. I put it in my Beersmith Water Profile and will give it a shot until I find something better.

Jeff

There's really not much info out there about the "correct" water profile for a Kolsch.  In my mind, you kinda have to wing it based on your knowledge of the characteristics of the Kolsch you're aiming for and the water profiles that match up to those characteristics.  According to the BJCP guidelines, Kolsch should be somewhat delicate with low to moderate hop bitterness, similar to a light lager or pilsner.  For that reason, I use the Pilsen water profile which is very soft.  That said, the guidelines also indicate that the water can be up to moderately hard!  So, try a couple of variations and see if you can detect a difference.  Personally, I worry more about the yeast and fermentation temps for this beer, than I do the water.

Good luck.

Back