• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Numbers off

KB

Master Brewer
Reaction score
BS is estimating OG and ABV lower than what I'm actually obtaining. For example

OG: BS 1.048, whereas, in reality, I got 1.056

ABV: BS 4.9%, whereas, in reality, I got 6%

I've checked my equipment profile and mash profile.

Any suggestions on what else in BS I should check?

Plug all your numbers into the sessions tab for measured values and the program will calculate your actual brew house efficiency as compared to the value in your equipment profile.  If the actual (measured) value is close to the planned (estimated) value, then you have an issue with your volumes and will need to look at recalculating the process losses for your system.  If the numbers for brew house efficiency (measured vs estimated) are different, then update your equipment profile with the new brew house efficiency to bring the estimation of gravity in line with your process.

The efficiency numbers match. The volumes match. However, I'm not getting valid OG or ABV estimates. I am stumped. Would like to find a solution as I planned on brewing tomorrow, but I don't want to do so if I brew a higher ABV than planned.

If your efficiency and volumes match, then the gravity measurements must match also.  Efficiency is measured by the amount of sugar from the grist which makes it into the fermenter (brew house efficiency).  This sugar amount is basically measured by gravity points times volume divided by potential gravity points in grist.  I can further dissect the calculations if you want to upload the recipe file you are working with as a .bsmx file.  You can export the file highlighting it in the folder and clicking on 'file' > 'export selected'.  Follow the prompts to save the recipe on your computer and then attach the file to a message in this thread.

Checking my brew day notes, I believe I know what happened. I was having a problem with the mash PID. I believe I mashed at temps lower than I wanted thereby achieving a more fermentable wort. Checking the numbers from my most recent brew, after fixing the mash PID problem, and, so far, the BS numbers look good.

Back