• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling up to 3 BBL from 10 gallons

e_hattaway

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I was scaling up a 10 gallon batch of a nice Vienna style lager from 10 gallons to 93 gallons (3 BBL).  In my 10 gallon batch my recipe calls for around 15# of vienna malt and 2.5# of flaked corn.  After scaling up with beersmith the recipe calls for 37# Vienna and 110# flaked corn.  Does this sound right? 

I think what's happening is you have the box for match OG, Color and Bitterness checked in the scaling tool. The tool is likely giving you this unreasonable scaling of grain/adjunct to match color. Try unchecking the box. You may need to dial in the IBU/SG ratio to match that of the original recipe as well as the ABV, but the malt/adjunct ratio should be linear, or very close.

I find that in scaling, most of the gravity should come from pale malt, rather than specialty malts.

After using the scaling function, use the Vienna malt to get to the right color, then adjust the corn to get the same gravity you get from corn in the 10 gallon recipe. The last adjustment should be to add pale or pils malt to get to the same OG as the original.

Back