• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

End of gravity runnings

BudVarMan

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm doing BIAB, what do I enter for Sparge run-off PH and end of running gravity in the session tab

That generally applies to fly sparging and is only entered for future reference. Just leave the box as is.

BudVarMan said:
I'm doing BIAB, what do I enter for Sparge run-off PH and end of running gravity in the session tab

Do you have a pH meter?  If you do, you can find what to enter for the Sparge Run-off pH.  Towards the end of my sparge I sent some wort into a hydrometer tube, tested the pH, and took a gravity reading.  That's all there is to it.  Do you need to do that?  No.  But the end of sparge pH helps to ensure you don't over sparge and raise the pH beyond 6.0  I try to stop around or before 5.8.  After 6 you can start extract some tannins and get some off-tastes.

The gravity reading helps to determine your efficiency. Some people just like to stop sparging at 1.010 or whenever they notice it quits moving. 

Back