• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Two different water volumes in BIAB set up

Erock

New Forum Member
Reaction score
For some reason I am getting two different water volumes in beersmith. This happens to be a 1.5 gallon test batch, but the same thing occurs when I do my usually 5.5 gallon batches. I've attached screen shots below.

The recipe tab gives me a water volume  of 2.41 gal.
The water tab gives me a total volume of 3.04 gal and the right below it shows a water volume of 2.41 gal
The Mash tab gives me a water volume of 3.04 gal.
The Volume tab gives me a water volume of 3.04 gal.

I cannot figure out why the numbers are not consistent all across the board. I've read some posts trying to see if anyone has dealt with the same thing, but no luck. Some suggest that the higher number is the bash volume, but the volume tab shows a mash volume of 3.28 gal. Any idea why this might happen? Thx in advance.

The program is consistent in stating that 3.04 gal are needed on all your tabs.  The issue is with the amount of water that is listed in the recipe ingredients.  Just click on the water and change the amount to 3.08.  This sometimes happens when you have already added the water to the recipe and then later make a change in the volumes or recipe ingredients which then causes the program to recalculate the water requirements.  The program updates the requirements, but not the actual water in the ingredient box.

This is one of the reasons that in his tutorial, Brad recommends adding the water last and just before you are ready to brew.  Usually, I am adding the water and the associated water salts to the recipe two days before I make my brew and then I print out the brew day sheet at that time.

Back