• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile Total Volume ?

BudVarMan

Apprentice
Reaction score
I love how the water profile tool takes the guess work out of adjusting my water, it couldn't be easier, but I'm also confused by the water profile tool. It tells me " For best results, add enough water to match this volume"
The volume it's telling me is 7.84 gallons, but here's where I get confused, If I add up my mash water and sparge water it's 6.84 gallons. Why in the water profile telling me I need 1 gallon more, it also automatically adds 7.84 gallons to the design.
I have set up my equipment profile  and mash profile.

To give you a good answer, I would need to know a bit more about your process volumes.  Are you adding a gallon of water at any point in your process other than the mash? 

I have never run across a situation in using the water tab in a recipe where the water volume listed is not the total water I have for my mash, but then I do not have any other volume additions downstream of the mash and I do for the most part do full volume BIAB type mashes. 

In the end, the program may base the addition on the total water, but you can decide how much water you want to treat for your mash. 

I stumbled across the answer, BS 3 doesn't update the water profile volumes if you change the design or mash. I found if I delete the source water profile then add it back in, it corrects itself, and then delete the water adjustments and then add them back in to get correct adjustments.

So in other words don't mess with the water profile tool until your completely satisfied with everything, or remember to go back and re-enter everything in the water profile tool if you've made change's to the design or mash

Might want to make that an update

Yes, that is the other thing to consider.  If you read Brad's blog on how to use the water tool, he mentions that the water addition and adjustment should be the last thing you do once you have locked the recipe and are ready to brew.  I usually make these additions a couple of days before brewing just before I am ready to print out the brew day sheet.

Back